Re: post processing setup questions

Subject: Re: post processing setup questions
From: "greghpr" greghpr
Date: Wed Dec 8, 2010 2:21 am ((PST))
I am a long time Reaper user and it is a very good choice on PC - and I think
is getting much better on Mac. However for post processing work I use Adobe
Audition which I find much better for things like mastering and noise and
artefact reduction. Reaper is better for things like multitracking, editing
together multiple files, or cutting bits out and putting segments together and
for using VST effects. Just my opinion of course. Ausition is very good value
if you can get a student price. Otherwise you won't go wrong with Reaper anyway
- it is amazing value.

For speakers I have used lots of average budget ones and found a huge
improvement when I bought Adam A7s - really one of the best things I've ever
bought for sound. They are great - and they now have some smaller cheaper
speakers too. In the  budget line the Samson Reveal line is getting good
reports. I am gettin some for my son for xmas. But Mackie MR5s are also good
value if you live in the USA.

If you can't spring on any of those speakers consider some good headphones for
detailed work combined with some cheaper speakers like the Behrigner MS16s or
Samson cheapies. I use the Beyer DT250s and they are excellent. This website
(not affiliated to me in anyway) has great information covering headphones
http://headphones.com.au/

As far as Mac vs PC - I've used both and prefer PCs, others say the opposite.
If you want unix power you can run Linux on a PC and Reaper under Wine - the
Reaper forum often has people talking about that - Ubuntu seems the main distro

Greg