Surround sound recorders and sound installations at eden project

Subject: Surround sound recorders and sound installations at eden project
From: "gus" leudar
Date: Mon Nov 8, 2010 6:35 am ((PST))
Hello all. I am curtrently delivering the largest indoor sound art installa=
tion in the world at the Eden project in Cornwall UK :

http://www.edenproject.com/come-and-visit/whats-on/heart-of-darkness.php

this installation features many sounds I have recorded in surround sound - =
it is diofferent to Chris Watsons at Kew as it has many imaginary sounds mi=
xed in with the authentic ones (it is soundARt after all) . I am soon to re=
turn to the Amazon and am looking for the best way to record in surround so=
und. Money is sort of an object but I dont really want to compromise on qua=
lity. So what would be the best recorder to take with me this time ? Would =
a Tascam 680 be OK in terms of noise ? Or do I need an expensive Sound devi=
ces 788t. i would ideally like 4 XLR inputs. I am not using video equpiment=
 so a lot of the features for that are not necessary. It seems to me the no=
ise in levels in the microphones are important as well. It also seems to me=
 that the blin test between the sound devices 722 and tascam 680 had most p=
eople ahrd put to tell the difference so would the extra price tag be reall=
y worth it for me ?
What mics would people suggest ?
So far my method has to take surround sound quadrophonic recoprdings and th=
en transfer them directly on to four speakers after mixing in nuendo - it w=
orks a treat - if you live near Eden come down and have a listen every Frid=
ay and saturday in November .
Anyway any advice appreciated,
cheers,
Gus