Re: ME67 handling noise samples uploaded

Subject: Re: ME67 handling noise samples uploaded
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Nov 6, 2010 2:51 pm ((PDT))
All,

talking about Stephen's low rumbles with ME66/67,

On 07/11/2010, at 6:37 AM, Mitch wrote:

> One other comment, I always use the mic's HP filter when outdoors,
> there is an amazing amount of random low frequency sound in nature
> and it carries a very long way. We do not hear it as well with our
> human ears as compared to when using a very sensitive microphone.

I always USED to use the mics filter to suppress low rumble.  But now
I do not use it.  I found that, even when using ME66 to a Sound
Devices 702 recorder rather than to an Olympus LS10, I was getting
some very slight distortion with certain types of powerful lyrebird
calls, even when these calls were absolutely not anywhere near
clipping.  When I turned off the filter, I no longer got the
distortion.  Just a thought, for certain recording applications.  And
to illustrate that you should not get bad rumbles when this filter is
off.

If you think your cable routing is a problem Stephen, don't buy
anything yet, but try simply anchoring the mic cable with elastic
cord or rubber band.  If you don't have a pistol grip, then get one.  =

If the cable runs through the handle of the pistol grip, cushion it
with pieces of sponge foam stuffed into the hollow handle so that the
cable doesn't move around.

Vicki