ME67 handling noise samples uploaded

Subject: ME67 handling noise samples uploaded
From: "stwebvanuatu" stwebvanuatu
Date: Sat Nov 6, 2010 12:45 am ((PDT))
Hello again,

Thanks for the many useful responses to my handling noise problem. I have now
uploaded some files to this group. I didn't make a folder and you'll have to
scroll down to find them in the list (which is alphabetical):

noise1gain10, noise2gain10hpf, noise3gain5 were all recorded indoors
recording1 is a field recording with maximum gain. The mic was in the same
shock mount. I braced my arm against a tree to try and stabilise the mic.
recording2 is another field recording, but this time I am trying to hold the
mic steady at maximum gain.

Are these normal noise responses? Even the one at 50% gain?

What I'm thinking now is, like someone had commented, the ME67 is too 'hot'.
It's very sensitive, particularly towards low frequencies and it's front heavy
and makes hard work for the shock mount. I think it may be rather impractical
for a walkabout mic?

I checked the noise spectrum in the top three files and the peaks are rather
consistent. The highest frequency noise peak was 40 Hz.

I previously used an Audiotechnica 835b mic, which was good enough , until I
dropped it in a creek! I started out holding the AT835b in my hand, with the
HPF on to reduce handling noise. I later put it in a shockmount and was getting
clean recordings with the HPF off. That's why I was surprised when I
experienced handling noise problems with the ME67, right from the start. I wish
that I could borrow another Sennheiser to compare with mine, with the same
shock mount and recorder.

Sennheiser ME67 sensitivity = 50 mV ~ -26 dB
AT835b sensitivity = 11.2 mV ~ -39 dB

Stephen.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional