Re: ME67 handling noise samples uploaded

Subject: Re: ME67 handling noise samples uploaded
From: "lecarmo" lecarmo
Date: Sat Nov 6, 2010 12:12 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "stwebvanuatu"
<> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Thanks for the many useful responses to my handling noise problem. I
have now uploaded some files to this group. I didn't make a folder and
you'll have to scroll down to find them in the list (which is
alphabetical):

> noise1gain10, noise2gain10hpf, noise3gain5 were all recorded indoors
> recording1 is a field recording with maximum gain. The mic was in the
same shock mount. I braced my arm against a tree to try and stabilise
the mic.
> recording2 is another field recording, but this time I am trying to
hold the mic steady at maximum gain.

> Are these normal noise responses? Even the one at 50% gain?

It's hard to have a picture of what you are dealing with without
knowing what shock mount you're using and how you are setting the
whole thing up.

There are significant differences in quality among shock mounts and it
is also important to attenuate the action between your hand and the
mount. That's why you should use a pistol grip, a boompole or a
stand.

Another thing to observe is that the foam protection which comes with
the mic won't be of much use outdoors, if by itself. Without at
least a fur like the Rycote softie
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/201801-REG/Rycote_Standard_Hole_S\
oftie_with.html>  you'll be in trouble in open air (I've never
recorded with the ME67 with this item, but it worked reasonably well
with ME66's and MKH-416's, at least in situations that were not
extreme as far as wind or movement).

> I think it may be rather impractical for a walkabout mic?

I disagree. As I wrote in a previous message, I've recorded with a
ME67  using the Sennheiser protection kit
<http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wire\
d-microphones_accessories_windscreen-mkh70>  (the same can be said for
the MKH416, MKH-60, MKH-70) and I'm sure that this specific
protection combo has an excellent performance (for the shorter 416 and
60, there is a compatible kit). One can record while moving, walking,
following talents or whatever sound source with a mic at the end of a
16' boompole. One can even record while running, if footstep sound
wouldn't be interpreted as noise =C2=96 some athletic skills
required. :-)

But, depending on the situation, handling a mic is something that can
demand special skills and the figure of a boom operator is there to
prove it.

As it was suggested in another post, some pictures of your gear and
operating setup will help figuring out what's happening.

Luiz