Re: Going to buy a Rode NT-1A. How connect it to Hi-MD?

Subject: Re: Going to buy a Rode NT-1A. How connect it to Hi-MD?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:05 pm ((PDT))
At 2:58 AM +0200 10/17/10, pelerin_voyageur wrote:

>Hi,
>
>beginner's queston about mic and phantom power :-)
>
>I have already an Hi-MD NH900 which I used for some recordings with a chea=
>noisy small Sony external microphone.
>Now I would like to buy an external mic (also in view of buying a new
>recorder in a near future, maybe a LS11 or D50, I'll see...) , and having
>read all the enthusiastic reviews of Rob Danielson here
><https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-art-tech-gallery/index.html>ht=
tps://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-art-tech-gallery/index.html
>I thought to buy a Rode NT-1A.
>
>I'm a beginner, so my question could sound really basic, I know and I'm
>sorry for that.
>
>But seeing that I should use an external 48v power between the mic and the
>hi-md, which one is a wise choise? I saw the ART Phantom II Pro, which is =
>bit cheaper than the Rolls PB224. Do you think is it ok?
>And second question (even more basic, sorry!): which cable should I use to
>connect the ART to the small 3.5 input oh the NH900?
>
>Thanks a lot for your help, and have a nice weekend!!
>
>Ric.

Hi Ric--
The Art Phantom II
http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=3D90&cat=3D13&id=3D159
should be okay,..but if you need to record a long time in the field,
the Art Phantom III can be run on a 12VDC battery sled:
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/HiMD/HiMDbattery-sleds.h=
tm
I note that the new model "II" appears to use an _AC_ powered wall
wart, but as it also runs on 2 X 9 volt bats, so you could wire-in a
9 volt coax jack for a 9 VCD battery sled (zapping the warranty)..
Both the Rolls and the Art Phantom III will not add noise even with
the lowest self-noise mics.

Use an adapter cable like this:
http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=3DAdpt2FXMSM&preadd=3Dacti=
on

The out of production Art Phantom III is hard to find now,.. Maybe:
http://www.kvconnection.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3DT-ART-PHANT3&c=
lick=3D4099

Curt Olson makes the III even smaller by removing the case:
http://tinyurl.com/yaoulgt

The omnidirectionall Audio Technica 4022 are popular mics these days.
The NT1-A's are fairly large mics, front addressing, cardiod and not
particularly responsive in the lower mid range. Some people like this
though. The 4022's are smaller, have a flatter response and 8 dBA
self noise.

Any ideas about what stereo arrays you want to use? That can make a
huge difference. Rob D.