Re: Surround Sound / Wildlife Recordings

Subject: Re: Surround Sound / Wildlife Recordings
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:04 pm ((PDT))
Ditch the MKH's?  and modify an Omni replacing its diaphragm with a loose m=
odel punch a hole in the rear of it, equalize the front/rear high frequency=
 balance with cloth, sensitivity remains the same, thats the figure 8 sorte=
d, do the same to make two cardoid's and attenuate the rear more, sling tho=
se in foam or make a small meshed blimp occupying around 20mm max, modify a=
 zoom h2 bringing the internal mic wires to sockets and your done. Whole lo=
t would fit in a big pocket and cost less than a single MKH mic.

Alternatively if the modifications are too difficult, space four matched ca=
psules close to each other and matrix the result, left - right =3D figure 8=
, front - rear mixed in different amount forms the front and rear balance. =
on axis high frequencies not quite omni enough? stick a ball bearing in fro=
nt of the omni.

Lower noise than DPA4060's and 20 mV/PA more sensitivity to play with.

-Mike.

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > I actually had a chance to use the DPA surround setup on a project and =
was very impressed with them. I'm told they are the same capsules as the 40=
60's. I use normally 2 MKH 40 back to back with 1 MKH-30 effectively.