Re: ORTF Recommendations

Subject: Re: ORTF Recommendations
From: "gt" gweddig
Date: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 am ((PDT))
Thanks for the shout-out Dan.  I have been using an ORTF configuration for =
many years.  Though I use an MK21 capsule which is a "sub-cardioid" or wide=
 cardioid.  I believe the side cardioid is more forgiving with regards to a=
 hole in the middle and provides a very wide soundstage.  Not so good for m=
ono compatibility maybe but I don't care so much about that.

I have had some issues with the Schoeps in high humidity but I deal with it=
 in the rare occasions it occurs.

Myles let me know if you have any questions.

--greg
Paradise, CA
http://gregweddig.net

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > Do you think this Schoepps ORTF set-up would be suitable for wildlife /=
 nature recording:

> > http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/mstc64u ?
>
> This is substantially what Greg Weddig uses as his ORTF nature recording =
rig, but with two separate mics, in a fat blimp side-addressed.

> http://gregweddig.net/?tag=3Dortf
>
> > I've been told a pair of Sennheiser MKH's 40 would be a more viable sol=
ution outdoors because they are more robust in the field.

> Schoeps have been known to fuzz when humidity gets high. Without the swiv=
els it'd be harder to windscreen the 40s in ORTF. Might require two small b=
limps.