Re: DR680 file storage and reliability

Subject: Re: DR680 file storage and reliability
From: "Ricardo Reis" rreis.kyriu
Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:57 pm ((PDT))
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Mitch Hill wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I thought of that, tried it, no luck, DR-680 still refuses to recognize
> SanDisk Extreme III 8Gb card.  This was asked when talking with Tascam Te=
ch
> service, they say the card should format, they have never heard of this
> problem...

do you have a windows or unix like machine?

if unix like (linux or mac, although I've never used a mac) you can use dd=

to overwrite the first blocks of the disk

something like (you have to be root)

dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/sd

the if means "input from"
the of means "output from"

/dev/sd should be the device of the card (use dmesg to find out which one
it is. should be the last one indicated in the log.

* WARNING *
PLEASE, IF YOU DON'T KNOW FOR SURE THE DEVICE DON'T USE THE COMMAND ABOVE.=

IT CAN REALLY SPOIL YOUR DAY BIG TIME.
* WARNING *

this command fills your card with zeros. sometimes I use this trick to
properly clean cards or disks. then I really now they are "blank"

I think you could try to zero your card and then format on the machine

best regards,

  Ricardo Reis

  'Non Serviam'

  PhD candidate @ Lasef
  Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence
  http://www.lasef.ist.utl.pt

  Cultural Instigator @ R=E1dio Zero
  http://www.radiozero.pt

  Keep them Flying! Ajude a/help Aero F=E9nix!

  http://www.aeronauta.com/aero.fenix

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rreis/

                            < sent with alpine 2.00 >