DR680 file storage and reliability

Subject: DR680 file storage and reliability
From: "Paul Dickinson" paulcdickinson
Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am ((PDT))
I had a similar problem to what Mitch is describing. The first time it
happened, the DR680 froze up during a recording, first thing out of
the box. I had to pull the batteries to re-set the unit, and found
that Tascam already had a firmware update. I updated the firmware, and
had no further trouble (of that sort, anyway - Always remember to turn
off the phantom power- especially when using unbalanced 1/4" plugs!);
no further trouble, that is, until a couple of weeks ago in the
Boundary Waters. The DR680 worked flawlessly until I did an overnight
recording with a 16 GB SD card. The recorder ran fine for the first 2
GB file(s), but froze with an "error writing file/file not found"
error message. This time, I was able to shut down the recorder (though
probably shouldn't have- the files ended up getting wiped).
Previously, I had been using tested and approved 8 GB cards with no
problems. I don't remember the brand of the 16 GB SD card offhand (I
don't have it in front of me right now), but I seem to remember it
being a 'tested and approved' card.

So  wonder if the DR-680 just has a software glitch dealing with
larger capacity cards? Mitch, what size cards were you using?

PS- other variables: recorder was loaded with AA NiMH batteries, but