Re: Which is more sensitive? - spectrogram software or human hearing

Subject: Re: Which is more sensitive? - spectrogram software or human hearing
From: "im_rawes" im_rawes
Date: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:41 pm ((PDT))

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > Just curious:  Can a human hear and distinguish more acutely than a
> > computer spectrogram can display or visualize?
>
> I would say yes and no--If you can hear something, you can adjust a spect=
rogram software to show it, but there's no one setting that would show ever=
ything you can hear.

> -Dan

The spectrogram has the advantage of turning a time-based auditory experien=
ce into a visual depiction where sounds of a shortish duration can be inspe=
cted at leisure.

But the spectrogram's plot shows no auditory intelligence, so to speak. It =
cannot parse an auditory scene into its component sound objects in the way =
that our sense of hearing does effortlessly.

(Mind you, I still like looking at spectrograms.)

Ian

- -

London Sound Survey http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk
Supporting Deafness Research UK http://www.deafnessresearch.org.uk