Re: Which is more sensitive? - spectrogram software or human hearing

Subject: Re: Which is more sensitive? - spectrogram software or human hearing
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:17 am ((PDT))
I am interested in this question too.
=A0
First, many bird songs feature modulations that occur more rapidly than we =
can hear. That is, the time-modulated signal occurs=A0within a frame that i=
s not withing the time-resolving power of the human ear.
=A0
I have tried to use sonograms=A0to "read" words unsuccessfully. One linguis=
t used to be able to read the words spoken from sonograms; he died and I've=
 not found anyone else who can. I would like to have a mechanism to show th=
at what I HEAR is accurately transcribed. Most other people cannot distingu=
ish English words spoken by talking birds. At a conference I recently was m=
ade aware of an effect that occurs when you show the words on a screen. eve=
ryone then comprehends what was said.
=A0
My work demonstrates that many talking birds are trying to communicate with=
 us. The problem is that 99+ percent of the population do not know how to l=
isten and that includes linguists and trained listeners. Man has become the=
 weak link in the communication chain even though the transmission employs =
our native language.
=A0
Anyone who has an idea about an objective method to decode speech without u=
sing a trained ear to help with the transcription please let me know how yo=
u do it.
=A0
Mike
Florida