Re: Which is more sensitive? - spectrogram software or human hearing

Subject: Re: Which is more sensitive? - spectrogram software or human hearing
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:22 pm ((PDT))
At 4:44 PM -0700 8/14/10, Dan Dugan wrote:

>  > Just curious: Can a human hear and distinguish more acutely than a
>>  computer spectrogram can display or visualize?
>
>I would say yes and no--If you can hear something, you can adjust a
>spectrogram software to show it, but there's no one setting that
>would show everything you can hear.
>
>-Dan

None of the sonogram tools I've used have come very close. Maybe I'm
not using them to their full abilities or using the right tools.  It
not unusual for me to discern differences of 1/2 dB and 1/24th of an
octave while making adjustments by ear. The sonogram apps I routinely
use have a minimum amplitude range of 20dB.  Are there sonogram apps
that can distinguish fractions of a dB while only examining a 1/4 of
an octave? This would be a very useful tool if it could also display
these factors in real time. Rob D.