Re: I'm Lost! Need Field Recorder with Good On-board Mics.

Subject: Re: I'm Lost! Need Field Recorder with Good On-board Mics.
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Sun Aug 8, 2010 4:01 pm ((PDT))
At 10:30 PM 8/8/2010 +0000, you wrote:
>I'm trying to keep it simple: I need a professional field recorder on the=

>order of the Olympus LS-11 or the Sony PCM-M10 that has the best on-board=

>mics for recording natural ambient sound in wilderness areas. I'm far more=

>interested in recorded sound quality than any other consideration.
>
>Can anyone help me?

Sounds to me like you have it already figured out...   I have an Olympus
LS-11 and have made recordings in the field with it that have come out very=

well, near perfect actually...

I have a friend that has the Sony PCM-M10 and he loves his, we can argue
all day about which is best and nobody wins.  If you look at the recorder
mic preamp testing results done by Raimund, they are stored in the
Naturerecordists group file area, you'll see that they are nearly
identical...  I can tell you that the LS-11 has a sound activation feature=

and the Sony does not, that the Sony has a pre-record function that the
LS-11 does not, the Sony claims 24 hrs battery life on a set of 2 AA
alkalines, Olympus claims 23 hrs for the LS-11 on a set of 2 AA alkalines
and so on... Both have very good quiet mic preamps, the Sony tested 1dB
higher than the LS-11 however I'd bet you can pick another set of the
recorders out of the batch and the numbers would probably be reversed, its=

that close...

I chose the LS-11 over the Sony PCM-M10 for the handling ergonomics of it
and I've been very happy with it and if I were to be in the market fopr
another recorder in this type class, I'd buy another LS-11...

You won't be disappointed in either one of these recorders, flip a coin to=

decide, you can't make a mistake...

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...