Re: LS11 and Zoom H4N timers?

Subject: Re: LS11 and Zoom H4N timers?
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat Aug 7, 2010 7:53 am ((PDT))
Klas Strandberg  wrote:

> Does anyone know about a way to start and stop recording with a LS11
> or a Zoom H4n by a timer??

I suppose it would be possible by taking the recorders apart and figuring o=
ut the electrical signal created by pressing the power on button, and the r=
ecord button.  Then you could build an external electronic gizmo that would=
 duplicate those signals on a timer. That would make an interesting project=
 for an electrical engineering student.

Two inexpensive pocket recorders that do offer a record timer function are =
the Tascam DR-08 and the Yamaha Pocketrak W24.  Both recorders allow you to=
 set a record start and stop time, and both can be set to record at that ti=
me on a daily basis. Once the timer is set, you can turn the recorder off. =
 When the appointed hour arrives, the recorder will start up, record, and t=
urn itself off again.

Of the two recorders, I prefer the Yamaha.  It has 2 GB of flash memory bui=
lt in, and can accept a micro-SDHC card up to 16 GB.  More important, the Y=
amaha can run for up to 30 hours on a single AA cell. The Yamaha uses date =
and time to create the file name for recordings. This helps when sorting th=
e recordings.

The DR-08 has the advantages of more widespread availability, and much lowe=
r price.  Battery is composed of three AAA cells, which power the recorder =
for about 6 hours.  An external battery box that provides 5V power might be=
 necessary if you plan to leave the recorder unattended for a few days.

Unfortunately, neither the DR-08 nor the Pocketrak W24 have particularly cl=
ean mic preamp sections.  I guess you can't have everything!

The Pocketrak CX is the predecessor to the W24.  It was introduced in Fall =
of 2008, and is now discontinued.  Occasionally the CX will appear for sale=
 at a substantial discount.  The CX does not include built-in flash memory,=
 has a shorter run time (about 20 hours) on its single AA cell, and records=
 at a maximum sampling rate of 16/48.  Otherwise, it seems similar to the P=
ocketrak W24.

The DR-07 is the predecessor of the DR-08.  The DR-07 lacks the DR-08's sop=
histicated record timer function.

--oryoki