Re: Sony PCM-M10 and Panasonic HS700

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 and Panasonic HS700
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:24 pm ((PDT))
Hi Ray--
Mitch is right about you being able to record with your pocket
recorder too and sync them up in post by lining-up the wave forms.
The "drift" is usually not that bad. It does take a good bit of time,
so its not something one wants to do routinely. I used to put
multiple MiniDisc recorders in performer's pockets wearing lav mics
and let them run continuously and sync them all up in post. 'Twas a
pain, but it produced high quality without renting expensive radio
mics.

No doubt, new mics are in your future and AT4022's are certainly a
good investment. You can use a portable phantom power supply like the
Art Phantom II or Rolls PB224 (both under $70) to power the 4022's
and connect it to the HDC-HS700 mic input. (Velcro it on the bottom
of the camcorder).  You may find that the stereo input jack on the
HDC-HS700 is adequate or even pretty good except the quietest
settings.  The same phantom box can be used with your M10.

An intermediate solution is to use one of the new, small, low noise
PIP mics people are experimenting with and make-up a stereo rig to
sit on top of your camcorder or wear a pair on your body.Those will
likely be a big improvement over the internal mics. Of course, the
quieter the setting is, the further you'll want to get the stereo
mics away from the camcorder's motor noise. These mics don't require
a phantom box, they'll get power from the mic jack. :-)  Info on
these low noise PIP mics  is in the .doc link in this paragraph in
the list FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/29lhzub Rob D.

At 2:49 AM +0000 7/21/10, rayb wrote:
>  My plan is to do nature soundscapes and no I have no mics yet. I'm
>looking a a couple of AT4022 mics as I see many nature recordists
>use them And they seem reasonably priced. These nature recordings
>I'd like to do with the camcorder and without....just to compare the
>two.
>
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>
>>  At 12:47 AM +0000 7/21/10, rayb wrote:
>  > >How (or can) I use my Sony PCM-M10 with my Panasonic HDC-HS700
>>  >camcorder for better sound quality and if so how? I'd like to be
>  > >able to walk around and record with this configuration.
>>  >
>>  >Thanks
>>  >
>>  >Ray
>>  >

>>  Hi Ray--
>>
>>  I see that the HDC-HS700 has a stereo mini plug mic input, likely
>>  its PIP.
>>
>><http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/C=
amcorders/3-MOS-High-Def-Camcorders/model.HDC-HS700K.S_11002_70000000000000=
05702#tabsection>http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Camera=