Re: Olympus LS-11 - problems with long continuous recording

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-11 - problems with long continuous recording
From: "Po-Jen Chiang" neckrikulau
Date: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:27 pm ((PDT))
My experiences with LS-10 and Sony M10.

M10: It can "seamless" record for both wav and mp3. For mp3, it creates
files of approximate 1GB instead of 2GB for wav.
LS-10: Firmware 1.10, it could seamless record for wav but not for mp3 and
wma. For wma, due to file format, the max  time is about 26 hours, no matte=
the bit rate. So not possible to record wma to over 130 hours. You have to
manually stop and record.  But, even for wav format, I have many failure
instances that the LS-10 failed to close the files and update the file
table. Files lost. It took  me quite some time to recover the files. The
situation was I used 16GB card to record 16/44 (25 hours of recording),
using fake AA batteries to connect to external battery boxes with at least =
6
AAs. So battery power should be sufficient. I left the recorder to record
until the memory runs out. Then, some LS-10s just failed to write the files
correctly. The memory card shows full, but no files. Sometimes, LS-10 will
show "restoring files" when turning on again, but only a few minutes of
recording were restored and all others lost.

Sony's M10 and ICD-SX950 series are currently the more reliable units for
long time of unattended continuous recording for mp3 or its LPEC format.

Zoom H2 could do seamless recording for wav. But I am not sure whether it i=
possible for mp3. Sorry I forgot my test results.

Po-Jen