Re: Quiet locations in the UK (no traffic)

Subject: Re: Quiet locations in the UK (no traffic)
From: "lunaman" eyediv2004
Date: Thu Jun 3, 2010 1:40 am ((PDT))
Hi all,

just breaking my long-time fascinated lurk to mention the probably obvious.=
 Living in Oxfordshire it's hellishly noisy but, further to Tom's point abo=
ut distance from roads, don't forget that hillsides and quarries can shield=
 you from the worst of road noise at least. I've found quite a few woodland=
s in the early morning facing away from roads which are remarkably quiet.

A while ago I looked at the CPRE's national tranquillity map:
http://www.cpre.org.uk/campaigns/landscape/tranquillity/national-and-region=
al-tranquillity-maps
a lovely idea but you'd have to overlay them on an OS map and even then the=
y're fairly obvious.

Good luck!

Alun Ward
www.alunward.co.uk

--- In  BRIAN HARRISON <brian.harrison777@=
...> wrote:

> Good morning Eilam and Tom and to all,
> =A0
> I totally agree with Tom. I live about a mile from the New Forest which h=
as the same problem as Tom with aircraft, power station, oil refinery and t=
he solent with masses of water craft large and small.
> =A0
> The best places for me is Scotland where you can get right away from huma=
n noise. The scottish mainland but especially the islands off the west coas=
t. It sometimes rain and sometimes very windy but at least they are sounds =
of the natural world. I know it is further to travel but the rewards are wo=
rth it.