Re: night of four owl species at Muir Woods last year

Subject: Re: night of four owl species at Muir Woods last year
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu May 27, 2010 1:38 pm ((PDT))
At 3:40 PM -0700 5/25/10, Dan Dugan wrote:

><<<http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Nature_Sounds_Recordings/Four_Owl_Species_in_One_Night-Muir_Woods_4.11.09.mp3>http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Nature_Sounds_Recordings/Four_Owl_Species_in_One_Night-Muir_Woods_4.11.09.mp3><http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Nature_Sounds_Recordings/Four_Owl_Species_in_One_Night-Muir_Woods_4.11.09.mp3>http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Nature_Sounds_Recordings/Four_Owl_Species_in_One_Night-Muir_Woods_4.11.09.mp3>
>  >>
>>>  These were made with 3032s on a Jecklin Disk. No claim of good
>>>  recordings, most are quite distant, just the good fortune of getting
>>>  such a variety.
>>>
>>  Some of the Barred vocalizations have lovely upper-harmonic detail!
>>  Its always a treat for me to hear these expressions so clearly.
>
>They were closer.

Always improves the odds. ;-)  The lower order harmonics can be so
"tight," dissonant and over-powering that they obscure the overtones
with the airier registers.

>>  Hopefully one or more of the owl experts can confirm all 4 ID's. I
>>  rolled through the file three times as I worked. To help me narrow
>>  the search, which calls/moments are you considering as Spotted and
>>  GHO calls? Right before 2:00 for the GHO? There are a couple distant
>>  callers I can't make out after 2:00, but I'm inclined to think the
>  > foreground callers after this mark are Barreds. Rob D.
>
>0:00 saw-whet
>1:10 great horned with saw-whet distant
>2:13 spotted
>2:27 spotted
>2:38 unidentified (descending) and spotted
>3:05 spotted
>3:18 spotted
>3:29 spotted
>3:41 barred
>5:43 barred (the characteristic "who cooks for you") and a juvenile
>screech? Also great horned at 6:20 and later.

No Spotted Owls here in the Midwest. Their voice quality is very
similar to that of the Barred- both Strix species.  So, that would
leave the GHO to make all four and the distant call at 01:52 sounds
very much like a GHO to me. Do the very distant descending "whiff"
calls at 2:38 sound a bit like regular paced snorts of a distant
white tail deer?  Rob D.