Re: night of four owl species at Muir Woods last year

Subject: Re: night of four owl species at Muir Woods last year
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue May 25, 2010 3:47 pm ((PDT))
ecies_in_One_Night-Muir_Woods_4.11.09.mp3>http://www.dandugan.com/downloads=
/Nature_Sounds_Recordings/Four_Owl_Species_in_One_Night-Muir_Woods_4.11.09.=
mp3>

>> These were made with 3032s on a Jecklin Disk. No claim of good
>> recordings, most are quite distant, just the good fortune of getting
>> such a variety.
>>
> Some of the Barred vocalizations have lovely upper-harmonic detail!
> Its always a treat for me to hear these expressions so clearly.

They were closer.

> Hopefully one or more of the owl experts can confirm all 4 ID's. I
> rolled through the file three times as I worked. To help me narrow
> the search, which calls/moments are you considering as Spotted and
> GHO calls? Right before 2:00 for the GHO? There are a couple distant
> callers I can't make out after 2:00, but I'm inclined to think the
> foreground callers after this mark are Barreds. Rob D.

0:00 saw-whet
1:10 great horned with saw-whet distant
2:13 spotted
2:27 spotted
2:38 unidentified (descending) and spotted
3:05 spotted
3:18 spotted
3:29 spotted
3:41 barred
5:43 barred (the characteristic "who cooks for you") and a juvenile screech=
? Also great horned at 6:20 and later.

-Dan