Re: Greetings Everyone...

Subject: Re: Greetings Everyone...
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Wed May 26, 2010 7:34 pm ((PDT))
On 27/05/2010, at 11:56 AM, Mitch Hill wrote:

> I'm very curious as to what other shotgun microphones are suitable and
> popular for this type of application.

Hi Mitch,

The LS-10's  lack of XLR input and phantom power limits your choices unless you
add a phantom power supply to your kit.  I feel this defeats the point of
having a small handheld recorder, and you are best to stick to PIP or a shotgun
that will run from an internal AA cell.  Within these constraints the K6/ME66
is your best choice, as it has a winning combination of low noise and high
sensitivity.  Alternatives like the AT897 or NTG-1are ok but suffer in
comparison with the ME66 due to relatively high self-noise and low sensitivity.
 When I first started recording I used an AT897 with a Sony minidisc recorder -
you can hear one of the better recording I made with this setup at
http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/eastern-melbourne/bell-miners-yellingbo -  but if
you have the available funds the K6/Me66 is a better choice.

cheers
Paul