Re: Problem with a Sennheiser MKH30 - "like a growing bubble of stat

Subject: Re: Problem with a Sennheiser MKH30 - "like a growing bubble of stat
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon May 24, 2010 2:53 pm ((PDT))
At 8:06 AM +0200 5/24/10, Laloux, Dominique wrote:

>Hi Vicki and Umashankar,
>
>Thanks for your opinion.
>
>I suppose I should have it checked by Sennheiser, then. I hope it is not
>going to be too expensive a repair.
>
>In the meantime, I left the MKH30 powered on for a few hours yesterday,
>and I did not hear the problem afterwards. I turned it off, on again,
>several times, and heard no particular problem... I left it off for the
>night and I'll test it again, under an identical setup later on today.
>
>Thanks.
>
>DL
>
>Vicki
>
>From:
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>

Dominique--

re:
http://www.soundsnatural.be/tmp/MKH30_Noise_Problem.wav

I agree, more likely la faulty component. Senn USA replaced a
capacitor in my mkh-30 about 5 years ago for $70 but they've changed
their fee policy here.  Not sure about EU policy.  I'd try arguing
that you haven't used it much after buying it new 5 years ago. The
part was likely defective from the start. If that doesn't work and
the minimum fee seems high, get back to us. Now that the warranty is
over, Dan or umashankar might know exactly which cap needs replacing
and you can save some money by taking it to an electronics repair
shop. Rob D.