Re: GPS recommendations

Subject: Re: GPS recommendations
From: "ESP" eric_v_s43420
Date: Tue May 25, 2010 12:58 am ((PDT))
>Hi,
>
>Can anyone recommend a GPS device that will assist me in recording
>position and weather data when I'm in the middle of the woods. It would
>also be nice if I could download trail maps onto it.
>
>Thanks,
>Charles

Hello Charles.

I have a recommendation for you.  Not sure it's exactly what you want, but I
like it.

I have a Suunto X10 wrist calculator (their name).  It's a watch on steroids.
Has a thermometer (but reads high because it's close to skin so it has to come
off).  Waterproof to 300 meters (?) so could ontain water temps too.

Barometric pressure is another measurement it does and will store a weeks worth
as well as trigger an alarm for parameters you set and displays the trend.

Altimeter is another function.  It can be calculated either from atmospheric
pressure or from a satellite.  It can give a readout in feet or meters as well
as calculate your vertical change per hour.

Lastly, it's a GPS system - runs off the European satellites not the USA's - a
Swedish Company. Check them out.

I believe it claims accuracy to one meter and stable.  It does all the
calculations a GPS does - mph, km/hr. find home, way points, backtrack, etc.
You can download a route from National Geographic Topo maps as well as input
your trip to them.

It'll transfer the Barometric pressures to your computer also and charge itself
at the same time.

Battery life depends on GPS use.  Mine runs for about 3 to 4 weeks on a charge.
 If you're using the GPS at 1 second intervals they say 3 hours I think.  It'll
also fix at one minute intervals and on demand.

Negatives:
It's too small (between 1" and 1 1/4" usable display face) to set out a nice
trail display like a car's GPS system.

Relatively expensive for a "watch".

Battery is factory replaceable.  Although it comes with a two year warranty
which they honor no problem and even pay shipping both ways.  I am severe on
watches.  I'm 63 now and have only had three watches that did not stop running
within a year.  One quit in a day.  It's weird and I can't explain why either.

It also has a built in compass separate from the GPS and a 20 hour stopwatch.

I like mine a lot - after a year and a half or so..

Eric