Re: Recordings with the new Telinga Clip-Ons from the Seattle nature

Subject: Re: Recordings with the new Telinga Clip-Ons from the Seattle nature
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm ((PDT))
Hi Rob,
             Ive used them in binaural rigs, spaced log spirals (similar to=
 a rectangular boundary), various dipole configurations either multiple or =
single capsules - and with various sensitivities ranging from over 100mV/PA=
 down to around 30 mV/PA, with the Sony D50 they are around 50mV/PA. The mi=
cs I make to order based on the customers requirements and they have been q=
uiet varied so far. - building since August 2009.
Latest incarnation is a waterproof varient, still in testing - submersed in=
 a glass of water for 27 minutes removed and it carried on working just fin=
e.  Praying for rain here so I can leave out a stereo set out all night to =
get rained on in real conditions.

..

Hector Centeno has made very good use of my mics, heres a few examples of w=
hats possible using them with a battery box + Fostex FR2-LE

http://sonic.hcenteno.net/sound-map/

Look for "custom binaural PIPMICS Mics MM1"

Specifically, Rail crossing bell,  Construction site in montreal, Kids runn=
ing inside the Wychwood Barns is a good example.

Other notable users: http://pipmics.com/store/Feedback.html

---

Heres a short side by side example all using the same mic. (except the inte=
rnal where noted)
http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1297

Pseudo binaural:-
http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1307

The dipole mic in the example is using two matched capsules placed side by =
side, the stereo image is formed by quite complex digital matrixing and shu=
ffling. (omni - omni =3D figure 8, omni+omni =3D big omni :) - mid/side adj=
usted and seasoned to taste)
http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1277

Im currently waiting for the May 1st Holiday, traffic drops rapidly (alcoho=
l consumption spikes) I'd rather head out to the local nature reserve :)
I can setup a pair of NT1A's or NT2A's to be fair (7dBA) as Omnis and make =
a side by side with the native mic / no boundary.

Shockmounts / moulding in elastic urethane is an option depends on what you=
r after and how they will be used.

"but around
> the same price as 2 -AT4022's."
Interesting.

I'll think about the side by side demo and post a new blog entry with the r=
esults in a few days.

-Mike.

--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> I was surprised there wasn't more difference
> between the mics and the arrays. I don't have a
> sense of what the space sounded like, so its
> challenging for me to reach a solid opinion from
> the comparison.  Lots of lower mid-range
> saturation in the test condition which is
> demanding on the rigs. Maybe too demanding?
> Lately, I've been doing  comparisons in 2-3
> setting to see if patterns emerge. The amount of
> similarity in this comparison seems to beg for
> this.
>
> Mike, I see you have some custom clip-ons that
> you can make-up for folks
> http://pipmics.com/store/PIPMICS_Store.html
>
> How about a shoot out of clip ons, in free air
> and in the stereo array of your choice?
>
> My main hesitation is the cost for small electret
> mics. I'm guessing the Telingas are in 15-16dB(A)
> self-noise range. Good sensitivity. Low noise
> enough that I think the input noise of the LS-10
> cripple's the Telingas slightly in Mike's test.
> That is 5-6dB(A) better than WL183's but around
> the same price as 2 -AT4022's.
>
> I realize that the clip-ons have much
> sought-after portability. If they came with
> something new like a unique stereo array I could
> set-up, the price would be more attractive to me.
> I have a portable rig with  small 14 dB(A)
> self-noise mics into a Zoom H2 (via external
> pre), but recording with shock mounts, good wind
> protection etc and 7-10 dB(A) mics is in a
> different league. I've been mixing field
> recordings and the self-noise differences are
> quite audible with natural space daytime ambience
> when they're placed in the same program. Rob D.
>
>   =3D =3D =3D
>

> At 11:56 AM +0000 4/28/10, Mike Rooke wrote:
> >  I liked the SASS rig the most. The teliga omnis
> >performance is really very good considering the
> >size 10mm, this may take some getting used to,
> >its like having a pair of large diaphragm
> >condensers in your pocket. Quite a disruptive
> >product if you think of the low noise,
> >sensitivity and cost, no need for xlr/phantom
> >power, pocket recorder 3.5mm plug and go... I
> >hope they are waterproof?
> >
> >-Mike.
> >pipmics.com
> >
> >--- In