Telinga mic comparison

Subject: Telinga mic comparison
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:16 pm ((PST))
Seasons Greetings All,

Being summer in Australia, I like to put out microphones on my front
verandah to eavesdrop on the wildlife, and to record - you know the
drill, long lead from mics on a tripod, with recorder and headphones
at bedside for comfortable listening.

Just for interest I made a comparison of two recordings; one was made
21st December 2007 with a Sony Pro DAT and two Sennheiser ME64 mics
in ORTF configuration; the other was made 23rd December 2009 with an
Olympus LS-10 and the Telinga LS10 stereo mic, used open.  Mostly
there is just ambience of crickets, some munching sounds from grazing
wallabies, and occasional distant calls from night birds.  (In 2007 I
picked up a Nankeen Night Heron in flight, and in 2009 was lucky
enough to pick up the rare scream of a Barking Owl.)  The general
idea was to compare noise levels and performance from both set ups.

These two sound files are now on the naturerecordists members pages -
(Files - scroll down to N for NIGHT).

For the DAT recording, I had the low cut switch ON for both the
microphones.  For the LS-10 recording, there was no low cut applied,
and the recording was made using low sensitivity volume 10.  I have
slightly boosted the levels of the LS-10 recording to match the DAT
recording, based on the sounds of the crickets, although it is hard
to know how close the crickets were to the microphones, on these two
separate occasions.

The sound quality of the LS-10 Telinga combination seems to be a bit
better than the DAT combination.  In apEQ you can see that there are
more low frequencies with the LS-10 recording.  If you were to match
the eq for the low frequencies of the two sound files (i.e. giving
some low roll-off for the LS-10 recording), the LS-10 Telinga
recording does seem to have quite a bit less noise than the DAT
recording.

So for a fraction of the weight compared to DAT, plus 12 hours of
battery power instead of one hour, plus a lightweight one-point
Telinga stereo mic instead of bulky ORTF setup of ME64s, the LS-10
Telinga combination does brilliantly for both convenience and sound
quality.

(Happy New Year Klas!)

Vicki Powys
Australia

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: