Re: clock sync (was Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?)

Subject: Re: clock sync (was Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?)
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:52 pm ((PST))
> My mail was more of a plea to manufactures to consider adding something that
> allows recorders to sync if more than one of the same device are used, rather
> than specific timecode. E.g similar to the Zoom R16, expanding it with a
> further 8 channels - but rather for stereo recorders with decent preamps.
> "plug this lead in and get a further 2 channels"
> (even if proprietary)

I've had a lot of success synching up 4-channel recordings made on two stereo
MD recorders. You can't get the phase sync of a multitrack, but you can get
within a few milliseconds, which is adequate for uncorrelated surround channels.

Use a party clicker at the head and tail of the take. In post align the two
stereo pairs to the head click. Apply a varispeed (not a time/tempo shift) to
the rear channels to align the tail click. Offset the speed-corrected pair in
time according to where you know the clicker was and the speed of sound. Voila,
four channel surround.

-Dan Dugan