Re: clock sync (was Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?)

Subject: Re: clock sync (was Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?)
From: "Marc Myers" primatemarc
Date: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:34 am ((PST))
In some cases absolutely. That said, using a clapper imposes a fair amount of
work and structure on the recordists. This can be challenging in natural
conditions with a short (or no) crew, many takes, no shot logs and no
opportunity for do-overs.
I recorded material on lemur research in Madagascar some years ago. Several
people's voices were recorded in real time in the field as well as video,
ambience and lemur calls. A nightmare and not very good. These days I'd give
the people personal recorders and lavalieres and then pick the lemurs up with a
parabolic or an array. I'd sync in post.