Re: Living with bears

Subject: Re: Living with bears
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am ((PDT))
Hi Paul,
I'm not sure I fully understand this, but it's very interesting. I have tho=
ugh found a solution to my problem, and I've had it for a day or two! I dis=
covered by accident this morning that FlashGot which Rob recommended DOES w=
ork for me, now I know how to use it. The problem was, I expected some kind=
 of message or indication of some kind, to tell me that it was working; it =
doesn't give one! For instance, with the bears, I right clicked the page an=
d selected FlashGot Media (1); nothing happened; I checked My Documents; no=
thing there! What I discovered was that it turned up there later as a VLC f=
ile (my default player) and played no problems. It also worked with the loo=
ns.
So, although not so convenient, this is at present a solution I am happy wi=
th. Thanks Rob! Thanks also to all who have taken time to help solve this p=
roblem. I'm aware that I wasn't the only one that was suffering, and I hope=
 others too find satisfactory solutions.
All the best
Max
p.s. to Vicky re her 'tinkling artifacts', out of interest what was the fil=
e size of the loons? Mine was 9.80 meg.

--- In  Paul Jacobson <> wrote:

> On 28/10/2009, at 4:23 AM, Paul Jacobson wrote:
> >
> > Phil, Max
> >
> > I'd be very surprised if Max actually problem.
> >
> > I guess you noticed both 7 loons and naturesound.org were built with
> > iWeb and feature embedded QT. I fairly sure the javascript iWeb uses
> > to handle the embedding is cause of this problem.
> >
> > regards
> > Paul
>

> Reading back, I see Max is unable to use QT, so iWeb javascript is not =

> the problem....
>
> but the embedding javascript include does contain the url of the file ;)
>
> Begin by looking at the source. Near the head there are a number of
> script tags.
>
> the include you are looking for always has the same name as the page
> title - in this case: 26_Bears,_Bears,_Bears_files/
> 26_Bears,_Bears,_Bears.js
>
> if you replace 26_Bears%2C_Bears%2C_Bears.html with the above  you'll =

> get the javascript include which contains the path to the media files:
>
> http://naturesound.org/Natural_Sounds/Entries/2009/10/26_Bears,_Bears,_Be=
ars_files/26_Bears,_Bears,_Bears.js

> in this case ../../../../Media/Black%20bears.mp3
>
> Going back to the original link
>
> http://naturesound.org/Natural_Sounds/Entries/2009/10/26_Bears%2C_Bears%2=
C_Bears.html