Re: Olympus LS 10-11 prebuffer recording

Subject: Re: Olympus LS 10-11 prebuffer recording
From: "" m_pesente
Date: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:35 am ((PDT))

Hi Max,
really, it is not an insurmountable problem. Nevertheless, I use to walk
holding the recorder in PAUSE of recording; as soon as I feel a strophe of song
that can interest, I press the key PAUSE and so beginning to record. Probably
this is a heritage from when I recorded with DAT, later with Minidisc machines!
This way acting, as soon as the singer begins its song, I lose the beginning of
the first strophe of song. Well, if it happens with a subject that repeats
stereotypedly and frequently the strophes of song, there is no problem; if
instead the specie is for instance a Cetti's Warbler, Cettia cetti, that sings
in full song, therefore with repeated strophes every 3-5 minutes or more and
never from the same roost, I almost find impossible to record this specie
without having to leave the recorder in continuous recording mode. There are
some subjects that sing a particular strophe in a particular moment, then to
repeat it even after a lot minutes (for instance the Blackcap, Sylvia
atricapilla, with its numerous variations and imitations).
I understand that, as you tell me, I can separate later the useful strophes in
the total one of the recording (for instance with Adobe Audition), nevertheless
I find that a very expensive thing in terms of time.
Until now, we have recorded with recorders that didn't have the prebuffer
recording. I'm now using two recorders that have this characteristic, the
Fostex FR2-LE and the Zoom H2, and I find very useful the prebuffer as above
described.
Certainly, it is that we can quietly continue without prebuffer, but
considering that to implement this feature cost nothing to Olympus, I wonder me
because doesn't do it.
Moreover, considering that these recorders are born more for interviews,
politicians don't usually repeat the sentences (or I wrong???), therefore it
would be also an useful option for the reporters journalists!

Marco