Re: Nothing

Subject: Re: Nothing
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:31 pm ((PDT))
Hi, Mike.

I don't know why i wrote my figures down wrong but i have now
corrected them. (sleep depredation)

Its a basic calibration i use with Sennhieser microphones in the MKH
series that works great for me.
I insert a -30DBA tone at the front of all my recordings when i use
the MKH mics. This is basically a reference point if i normalise any
of my recordings in the studio. I can always refer back to the tone if
i want to revert to the original at anytime.

With  cabling from my MKH 40/30 microphones, i set the menu for
Linking/MS on the 7* series recorders and insert a -30 db tone at the
front of the recording with the tone generator. Then i adjust the
volume with the rotory pots to 56.7dba. The senhieser microphones
basically do not vary. Doing this provides me with a calibrated input
level of 64dba. reletive to a -30dba meter reading and will generally
give me an accurate signal range for future analysis.
I can basically be sured of non clipping in the field, i use this all
the time and have yet to loose out in an element of supprise (Scream/
bang/thunder)

Martyn
Martyn Stewart
http://www.naturesound.org