More Lehua Islet sounds

Subject: More Lehua Islet sounds
From: "David Kuhn" dkuhn012001
Date: Mon Sep 7, 2009 10:05 pm ((PDT))
Hi all, I created a=A0folder of several files=A0on the Naturerecording=A0 (=
that's -ING) site, of more sounds from Lehua Islet--

ds/

=A0or http://tinyurl.com/mo4fqc
=A0
"Lehua sea cave" is the one I posted last week, with Black Noddies, very de=
ep pneumatic sounds from inside the cave, and thunder, the only evidence of=
 Hurricane Felicia. The lightning strike was about two miles directly offsh=
ore, so it reverbed in the cave nicely. The .jpg photo is yours truly hard =
at work.
"Lehua Blowhole" is a small gentle would-be blowhole outside the sea cave. =
The "mouth" is not much bigger than a human's, inhaling and exhaling much t=
o my amusement.
"RFBO Lehua" is a colony of Red-footed Boobies in the evening as the adults=
 return from foraging at sea; Also heard are Wedge-tailed Shearwaters.
"WTSH short" is a colony of Wedgetailed Shearwaters at night at our camp. T=
he low voice is the female, the higher is the male. This goes on all night,=
 but=A0not too disturbing until the night I mistakenly slept in a hammock t=
wo feet from a nester.

I'll leave this folder intact for a couple weeks, then remove to make room.
=A0
I had a great time out there, mostly recording at night. I'll return next M=
ay to record other species' colonies (Laysan and Black-foot Albatross, and =
several Endangered Species, etc.) Each evening I listened with Telinga for =
incoming unseen birds, with some very interesting success. On one night of =
light winds I listened from camp, facing the mountain-side, while two ornit=
hologist colleagues tramped around on the crater.=A0 I would shine a laser =
in the direction of heard Band-rumped Storm-Petrel calls, they would confir=
m the heard sound and head in that direction. The active nest of this speci=
es has never been observed in Hawai`i, hence our willingness to expend such=
 energy.
=A0
Again, headphones recommended.
=A0