Re: Looking for a new mic

Subject: Re: Looking for a new mic
From: "Raymond Jansen" raymond1964jansen
Date: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:23 pm ((PDT))
Hi Rob and Dan,

Thanks for jumping in.

Yes I'm planning to record quiet natural places with a stand-mounted mic. I=

did already some research on Jecklin and Schneider discs and game across
thiss SASS thing.

I'm not completely new to recording, I started binaural recording some year=
ago after listening to some cd's of Gorden Hempton. Bought my self some OKM=

mics from a German company called Soundmanand started my own recordings. I=

started with a Sony D7 DAT recorder, followed by the IRiver H120, bought a=

Edirol R09 followed by a R09HR and now got my Sound Devices 702 (oh men, wh=
did I waitd so long to buy this puppy).

The fact that binaural recordings are not suitable for playback on stereo
systems kept me looking for some other tecniques. I did understand that the=

Schneider disc, a modified version of the Jecklin disc, was a good way to
record for stereo playback and also kept enough information for binaural
listening through headphones. But Schneider sound samples are hard to find=

on the internet.

I don't know if it is just my imagination, but The Crown SASS-P MK II
samples I did hear on the internet are missing something in dynamics and do=

have a strange effect in the high frequence that I don't like (maybe the
Message: 18.
Subject: 000 hz limitation). When I compare them with the samples made with the
modified SASS with the MKH-20's the difference is night and day. I hope tha=
Walter Knapp is still willing to make them!

Maybe I will buy myself a Jecklin or Schneider disc and play around with it=
.

Regards,

Raymond

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: