Re: LS-10 vs 702, ambience

Subject: Re: LS-10 vs 702, ambience
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:22 pm ((PDT))
Hi Klas and all,

I would say that the Telinga stereo image, when used open, is
somewhat vague in directional information, compared to the SASS (I
have the advantage of hearing the entire sound clips).

Interesting about the Telinga boost 4-8 kHz, do you mean this applies
when using a parabola, or open?  The SASS is also supposed to give a
boost to mid frequencies e.g. birdsong, due to boundary effect.

Re self noise, I don't think I AM hearing Telinga self noise.
Someone contacted me off-group to query my setting of low sensitivity
10 (rather than say, high sensitivity 3).  There has been a previous
discussion on naturerecordists re this.  Using add on mics, including
the Telinga and a Sennheiser ME66, I find that there is more fizz
when using high sensitivity.  Note that this applies to add on mics
and not just the LS-10 inbuilt mics.

I did a test this morning, using a metronome on front verandah rail
(quiet, rural background), standing back 5 metres, with settings on
LS 10 at high sens. 2.5 versus low sens. 10.  At these settings the
ticking levels of the metronome matched exactly.  With both the
Telinga mic (used open) and the ME66, there was more fizz with the
high sensitivity setting, and when I later boosted the low sens
recordings by 6 dB, the fizz level still did not equal the high sens.
fizz.  Of note is that the ME66 was only slightly more sensitive than
the Telinga mic (making the Telinga a very sensitive mic), and the
Telinga has the advantage too of giving a stereo picture.

Vicki