Re: Built in Mics of currently available handheld recorders

Subject: Re: Built in Mics of currently available handheld recorders
From: "Al" ndbdxr
Date: Sun Aug 2, 2009 1:30 pm ((PDT))
A quick thank you, for your replies!

Are you primarily interested in
> close-ups or recording subjects at a distance with ambience?

Currently, my interests lie in recording insects, inside of about 30 yards.

>If you'll outline your priorities (recording style,
> subjects to be recorded, desired end-products), we'll make some
> recommendations and you can search the list archive for sample
> recordings etc.

Would like to produce recordings of "Insect Concertos" and a Morning Chorus=
 or two.
I am trying not to go down the road of buying mics, or expensive pre-amps. =
The mics that I have, spend most of their time in a drawer (if you know wha=
t I mean).

> The list archive has quite a few comments and tests regarding
> built-in mic performance. "Built-in mic test" =3D
> http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2009-0=
7/msg00237.html

> Among these matches, Matt's recent test stands out in my mind:
> http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2009-0=
7/msg00237.html

> This test also address your question about the self-noise performance
> of the built-in mics of several pocket recorders.
>
> Rob D.

These are fantastic reviews, Rob - exactly what I was looking for.
I'll be studying them closely.