Built in Mics of currently available handheld recorders

Subject: Built in Mics of currently available handheld recorders
From: "Al" ndbdxr
Date: Sun Aug 2, 2009 12:23 am ((PDT))
Folks,

I'm trying to determine which hand-held recorder has the most sensitive,
directional (and lowest self-noise) built-in microphones.

I own and use a couple of (low-end) shotgun mics. I find myself making
recordings more often without my external mics available. And I end up using
the built-in mics of whichever recorder I'm using at the time.

Given this habit I have, I've decided that my next equipment purchase, should
be a recorder with the best built in mics possible (within my <$1000 US
budget).

Does anyone have a link to reviews that are focused on built-in mics of
handhelds? I haven't found any so far (just general reviews).

I thought I would just ask the Group here, as there is a good chance that
someone already happens to know which hand-held recorder has the best mics.
The new Zoom H4n looks a bit promising,
I've been thinking that the Sony PCMD50 may be better, but I'm not sure. I will
say that something as expensive as Sony's PCM-D1, would definitely be out of my
range.

Thank you,

Al