Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.

Subject: Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:10 am ((PDT))
Curt wrote:
> You discovered pretty much the same thing I'm finding. In close
> proximity to cliffs and rock formations there is just so much going on =

> it's hard to make sense of things with an omni-based rig. Open beaches =

> are not quite as challenging, though mic placement there is still
> important.

Both settings have been challenging for me. On a open sand beach, the ambie=
nt hiss obscures the nuances of the nearby features, and can make the recor=
ding feel boxed in and claustrophobic. Proximity to the features becomes ve=
ry important. On a very gentle profile beach, the beach wash zone can be ve=
ry deep and wide with interesting wave sounds stretched throughout, but it =
can be very difficult to capture any clarity in this field because of the o=
verwhelming ambient noise.

> Lake Superior doesn't often give the sounds of big surf. I've been
> monitoring the NWS Nearshore Marine Forecast along the Minnesota
> portion of Superior for a year now. Once last fall I saw waves
> forecast to 16 feet. Occasionally 6 to 8 feet for a few hours
> following a large storm system. Most days it's 1 to 3 feet. Will
> return  to practice again soon, and hopefully next time the big lake
> really kicks up, I'll be able to capture a reasonable recording of it.

I am sure it must be hard to find a day of large waves yet little wind.  Th=
e Great Lakes Surfing Association has a drool freezing photo on their homep=
age: http://www.greatlakesurfing.com/

> Folks here have always discussed how difficult it is to make
> compelling wave/surf recordings. I always accepted it as true, but
> never really applied myself to it personally until this year.
> Still so much to learn...
> Curt Olson

Always more to learn...

John Hartog