Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.

Subject: Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 am ((PDT))
John Hartog wrote:

>> trying a wide range of things -- some of them rather kooky and
>> unconventional, I confess -- just to see what happens, and to
>> hopefully learn something in the process.
>>
>> Curt Olson
>>

> Last winter I experimented a bit on the Oregon coast with AT3032s in
> a homemade baffled barrier rig modeled somewhat after the Crown SASS
> design. It did not work well below the cliffs of a rocky point -
> just to much from all angles to make much sense of things.
>
> I did however record an enjoyable perspective along the open beach.
> At this location the beach had a steep profile of gravel and cobbles
> above the mean high tide line and gentle slope of fine sand beach
> below. An earthen bluff stands about 30 feet to the rear. The mics
> on tripod were positioned just out of reach of the feisty surf.
>
> http://www.rockscallop.org/ear/jh-090125-15xx_surf.mp3

Enjoyable indeed -- especially the tremendous low end!

You discovered pretty much the same thing I'm finding. In close
proximity to cliffs and rock formations there is just so much going on
it's hard to make sense of things with an omni-based rig. Open beaches
are not quite as challenging, though mic placement there is still
important.

Lake Superior doesn't often give the sounds of big surf. I've been
monitoring the NWS Nearshore Marine Forecast along the Minnesota
portion of Superior for a year now. Once last fall I saw waves
forecast to 16 feet. Occasionally 6 to 8 feet for a few hours
following a large storm system. Most days it's 1 to 3 feet. Will
return  to practice again soon, and hopefully next time the big lake
really kicks up, I'll be able to capture a reasonable recording of it.

Folks here have always discussed how difficult it is to make
compelling wave/surf recordings. I always accepted it as true, but
never really applied myself to it personally until this year.

Still so much to learn...

Curt Olson