Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.

Subject: Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:33 pm ((PDT))
Hi Mike,
Wondering if shadows and reflections from shifting wave faces have somethin=
g to do with the tone oscillations.

John Hartog

--- In  "picnet2" <> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Heres a couple of short clips that demonstrate the swooshing for the loca=
tion I recorded in. - Since both rigs captured a similar effect, Id put thi=
s down to mic placement.

> Google map: http://tinyurl.com/nu9f7l
>
> Rode NT4 about 1ft above water - as the wave approaches the tone of the n=
oise changes.

> (Diffuse EQ)
>
> http://urlme.net/audio/swoosh-nt4-diff.mp3
>
> No eq:
>
> http://urlme.net/audio/nt4-swoosh-noeq.mp3
> (noeq=3D cropping to the section and compressing to mp3)
>
> And similar but not the same time from the Binaural Head:-
>
> http://urlme.net/audio/downtobeachswooshing.mp3
>
> Photo of the head "on location"
>
> http://urlme.net/audio/hv4onlocation.jpg
>
> ---
>
> Curt was there a sand bank or rise behind you?
>
> I'll process a video which also demonstrates this effect - video camera w=
as placed on top of the dummy head while I panned it around. Should be on y=
outube just as soon as I find the relevant files.

> I would imagine in such a diffuse pink noise environment a pair of figure=
 8's may work better?

> BR,
> Mike.
>

> --- In  Rob Danielson <type@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Curt--
> > I'm trying to narrow down what you mean by "hollow." By comparing
> > files that exhibit the problem with those that don't (or don't as
> > much), we'll all probably learn something. I'm wondering if micing
> > distance and array used are the only other variables we'd need to
> > know,.. Rob D.
> >

> > At 10:08 PM -0500 7/13/09, Curt Olson wrote:
> > >I just got back from a long day of serious trial and error in
> > >attempting to understand some of the main issues with recording
> > >shoreline sounds. I have several hours of audio to study, but here are
> > >my two biggest "takeaway" impressions from the day:
> > >
> > >1) It's been said on this list that mic placement is pretty much
> > >everything. That's for sure!
> > >
> > >2) In rocky surroundings, omnis are much more likely than cardioids to
> > >produce the "hollow" sound I was concerned about.
> > >
> > >This may be old hat to many of you, but it's all new to me, and very
> > >educational. Hopefully I can post a clip or two in the next couple day=
s.

> > >Curt Olson
> > >
> > >On Jul 13, 2009, at 3:24 AM,
> > ><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
s.com

> > >  >

ps.com,

/audio/twominutesinthealgarve.ogg

> > --

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: