Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.

Subject: Re: Ocean soundscape, two minutes in the Algarve.
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:30 am ((PDT))
<<2) In rocky surroundings, omnis are much more likely than cardioids to
produce the "hollow" sound I was concerned about.>>

"Hollow" is a very subjective description, but as I hear it "hollow"
is the result of destructive comb filtering as a result of poor mono
compatibility, i.e. bad placement of mics. Generally omnis are much
more forgiving than cardioids if one is departing from accepted
coincident or near-coincident mic techniques. Maybe a different term
than "hollow" is needed here. I use it when there is a loss in the
200Hz to 500Hz region, & being a phase cancellation issue (as I've
used the term) no amount of EQ can bring the warmth back.

Scott Fraser