Re: Discussing Stereo Techniques for Seascape on Location (was Stere

Subject: Re: Discussing Stereo Techniques for Seascape on Location (was Stere
From: "picnet2" picnet2
Date: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:38 am ((PDT))
Hi Justin,
         Thanks for the tip, Ill try it with the shure's - I do have the et=
ymotics and from memory the cables are far thinner - I think in this case t=
he protrusion of the actual earphone drivers was causing the interference -=
 with winds approaching 15 kph turning my head I was able to reduce the eff=
ect. I also use koss portapro's to check the lows, or rather in this partic=
ular location the infusion of 90's dance bass lines drifting over the sea :=
)

Ive been looking for a material that can be bent into shape for fitting aro=
und ears, specifically the sennheiser head would benefit from different mic=
s, that could be placed over its ears - wire doesnt work very well and othe=
r solutions look rather diy. Ill try some polymorph/thermoset plastic when =
im home.. The current rig uses silicone moulds in the ear canals, the mic c=
apsules are held in the silicone with the cable running behind the head.

BR
Mike.

--- In  "justinasia" <> wrot=
e:

> --- In  "picnet2" <yg@> wrote:
>
> > I use shure in-ear headphones, good isolation but they take some >getti=
ng used to. In windy conditions they can also pickup >microphonics? in the =
cables causing some unwanted noise (just in the >earphones, its not recorde=
d) - they are a very portable solution.

> Hi Mike
> Nice to finally hear someone else is using in ear headphones too! So I'm =
not alone. When using my Etymotics, my solution for the noise from the cabl=
e is to have the cables running over my ears, that is, I hook them over my =
ears from the front then they go around the back of my ears (like glasses d=
o). That seems to absorb all that unwanted sound, and at least for my Etymo=
tics doesn't feel uncomfortable. There's another company, can't remember wh=
ich, whose in ear phones actually have a more rigid cable for that first fe=
w inches I think, so that they stay in a shape to properly fit around your =
ears. I'm sure something similar could be easy to home-make by adding somet=
hing, perhaps taping some bendable wire to that section which could hold sh=
ape.