Re: Discussing Stereo Techniques for Seascape on Location (was Stere

Subject: Re: Discussing Stereo Techniques for Seascape on Location (was Stere
From: "picnet2" picnet2
Date: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:45 am ((PDT))
Hi Rob,

> I bet ya' a marshmello that raising the NT-4 doesn't significantly
> change its marginal stereo imaging of distant events. There should be
> some of those around.

Ill send it in the post, not sure it will be edible :) - High or low doesnt=
 make that much difference besides more wind noise higher up. The angle of =
the capsules (rotating) the mic makes far more difference to tone but for d=
istant events not so sure. The head is far better in this regard but due to=
 colouration from the wind protectors Ive not been able to use it in winds =
above 10 kph. or rather I prefer the sound without the earmuffs on... Would=
 be nice to know the price for the KU100's ear muffs and the influence they=
 have to the recording. (Ive notice my diy wind protectors remove some of t=
he ear response making the rig like a pair of mics on a spaced boundary)

> >The science of array construction vs the actual use in the field is
> >rather different. Ive learned many things during the last few days.
>
> Having moving pink noise with diverse horizontal and depth positions
> is a great environment for testing stereo arrays and one's micing
> strategies.  Great to have good, fully enclosed phones for this
> situation. You can press in on the phones with your hands to lessen
> the bass that tends to leak in and make it hard to hear the lower mid
> roars.

I use shure in-ear headphones, good isolation but they take some getting us=
ed to. In windy conditions they can also pickup microphonics? in the cables=
 causing some unwanted noise (just in the earphones, its not recorded) - th=
ey are a very portable solution.

> I agree that the NT4's strength is extreme proximity. The head, to
> capitalize on its precise treble imaging across the center might be
> best aimed to cover a range of 8 - 20 feet? (Given the loudness of
> the sounds at greater distance).
>
> Three rigs recording at once occurs to me: (1) NT-4 very close to
> beach detail, (2) the head rig a few feet above this and (3) a make
> shift Parallel Boundary rig up on a bluff, or lacking that feature,
> back from the beach another 15-70 feet for the horizon? The PB rig
> might provide a higher contrast left-right "frame" of the horizon
> events for the mid distance head imagery to "settle into" in the mix.
> Think you could coax some usable material out of your H2's mic inputs
> in this louder setting for two simultaneously running rigs? Rob D.

Funny you should mention the H2, I was testing it in 4 channel mode this mo=
rning, Ill take that with me and see how it fairs given the source is quite=
 loud.

Thank you for the suggestions, Ill try them this evening :)

BR
Mike.