Re: Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes

Subject: Re: Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Sun Jul 5, 2009 7:24 pm ((PDT))
Thank you for posting this material, Matt. It's a great exercise, and
probably the best way to understand the differences between various
microphones and mounting configurations. Well worth the hard work and
effort.

Curt Olson

Matt Blaze wrote:

> First of all, please forgive me for barging in; I've long enjoyed
> and learned a lot from from this terrific list, but have only rarely
> actually posted here.
>
> Anyway, one of the challenges for me in learning to record good
> stereo images of outdoor soundscapes has been the relative lack of
> controlled examples of different miking techniques recorded
> simultaneously from the same position. There are some amazing
> outdoor nature recordings available here and elsewhere, but people
> tend to distribute only their best results, and keep to themselves
> the duds recorded along the way. For the listener, that's surely for
> the best, of course, but it means that there are lamentably few
> examples of the same sources recorded simultaneously with different
> (and documented) techniques from which to learn and compare.
>
> So I've slowly been experimenting with different techniques by
> making simultaneous recordings in different outdoor environments and
> of different kinds of subjects. The effort is paying off well for
> me, and perhaps others can benefit from my failures (and occasional
> successes). So I've collected and posted a few examples on a web
> page, which I will try to update with new recordings from time to
> time. Most of the recordings are decidedly unspectacular, intended
> primarily to expose the similarities and differences of the images
> produced by different mic configurations when used outdoors. Mostly,
> through, I hope to encourage others to do the same; my individual
> effort is really quite pale in the grand scheme of things, limited
> as it is by my talent, equipment, and rapidly diminishing
> inclination to carry lots of stuff with me.
>
> My sample clips, for what they're worth, can be found at
> http://www.crypto.com/audio/soundscapes/ .
>
> -matt
>
> mab blogs at http://www.crypto.com/blog/

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: