Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes

Subject: Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes
From: "Matt Blaze" matthew.blaze
Date: Sun Jul 5, 2009 3:38 pm ((PDT))
First of all, please forgive me for barging in; I've long enjoyed and
learned a lot from from this terrific list, but have only rarely
actually posted here.

Anyway, one of the challenges for me in learning to record good
stereo images of outdoor soundscapes has been the relative lack of
controlled examples of different miking techniques recorded
simultaneously from the same position.  There are some amazing
outdoor nature recordings available here and elsewhere, but people
tend to distribute only their best results, and keep to themselves
the duds recorded along the way.  For the listener, that's surely for
the best, of course, but it means that there are lamentably few
examples of the same sources recorded simultaneously with different
(and documented) techniques from which to learn and compare.

So I've slowly been experimenting with different  techniques by
making simultaneous recordings in different outdoor environments and
of different kinds of subjects.  The effort is paying off well for
me, and perhaps others can benefit from my failures (and occasional
successes).  So I've collected and posted a few examples on a web
page, which I will try to update with new recordings from time to
time.  Most of the recordings are decidedly unspectacular,
intended primarily to expose the similarities and differences of
the images produced by different mic configurations when used
outdoors.  Mostly, through, I hope to encourage others to do the
same;  my individual effort is really quite pale in the grand
scheme of things, limited as it is by my talent, equipment, and
rapidly diminishing inclination to carry lots of stuff with me.

My sample clips, for what they're worth, can be found at
http://www.crypto.com/audio/soundscapes/ .

-matt

mab blogs at http://www.crypto.com/blog/