Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10 ?

Subject: Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10 ?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jul 1, 2009 6:43 am ((PDT))
At 12:01 AM +0000 7/1/09, paulmcnelis wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I plan to purchase the SP-TFB-2 binaural mics and either the Edirol
>R-09HR or the Olympus LS-10.
>
>I plan to record anything nature - birds, frogs, thunder, rain, streams, e=
tc.

>I have just 1 question:
>
>I read somewhere (forget now) that the Olympus mic jack or line
>input (whichever the SP-TFB-2 would get plugged into) has very low
>sound when it comes to ambient and quiet sounds. Is this true?
>
>I'm just a regular joe with a job, mortgage, wife and kid, and
>looking to do this as a hobby.
>
>We are going to the ocean this year on vacation and I want to record
>everything possible down there (surf, seagulls, amusement rides,
>arcade, boardwalk, etc. etc.)
>
>My mind is kind of made up on the Olympus, but I just need to know
>if it's good for quiet forest ambience, streams, leaves rustling
>maybe.
>
>Thanks a lot!

Hi Paul--
Sorry to hear about the mortgage. ;-)

Aaron's right; it's very misleading of Sound Professionals to
advertise those mics as, "Low Noise."   To record ambience in quiet,
natural locations requires a recorder with low input noise (a "quiet
mic preamplifier") and microphones with low self-noise (a noise
measurement of less than 17dB[A] for reference). We can get into some
particulars of the LS-10, but first:

With a total maximum budget for recorder, mics, wind protection and
headphones to work with,  we can suggest few gear combinations to
look into. One caution, don't set your heart on or buy the recorder
until you've considered the plusses and minus's of a few complete
packages.

A recording style question: Do you mostly want to "record on the go"
in a variety of settings with mics that are small and easily
accommodated or would you be willing to set-up mics on a stand if
this afforded considerably higher quality recordings? Its hard to
satisfy both interests with one set of mics.

It may come down to being able to spend less than $200 for a system
will be great for, "surf, seagulls, amusement rides, arcade,
boardwalk,.." compared to considerably more to facilitate "quiet"
subjects. At this juncture, some recordists elect to invest a little
more money to get a recorder that is ready to accommodate low-noise
mics down the road. Rob D.