Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10 ?

Subject: Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10 ?
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 pm ((PDT))
>> I am duty bound to point out that electret binaural mics are not well
>> suited for quiet nature recording (e.g. rustling leaves).

> I don't understand why you would say that. Here is a recording of falling=
 leaves with the SP-TFB-2

> http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=3D38646
>
> I'm just trying to find out about the Olympus LS-10, not the SP-TFB-2's.

I'm not telling you not to do it, or that it can't be done...

...just trying to suggest, if you aren't already committed to this
approach, and your primary interest is nature recording -- rather than
the sorts of things that are *my* primary interest, and hence the
reason I use binaural mics -- that you might also consider other
options.

I have no agenda in cautioning you; as I said, I've been using a
variety of binaural mics for more than ten years. It's just a simple
fact that it is harder to get satisfying results in challenging (i.e.
quiet) recording scenarios with this kind of mic (and strategy) than
with other approaches that many people on this list use. There are
also plenty of DIY approaches that provide many of the same end result
advantages as binaural, without the same up front limitations -- I'm
thinking in particular of modified SASS rigs and other
baffled/ear-spaced approaches that, because they don't actual require
a human head, allow one to use quiet (but larger) microphones.

I wouldn't keep using binaural style mics if they didn't strike the
right balance, for me, between (when I'm lucky) acceptable quiet
recordings, and being very good at the other sorts of things (and
situations) I record it.

Fwiw did you look at the Sony PCM-D50? If money were not the
discouraging factor I'd take that over the Olympus.

aaron

--

  quietamerican.org
  oneminutevacation.org