Re: recorder behavior when 2GB file size is reached

Subject: Re: recorder behavior when 2GB file size is reached
From: "Richard L. Hess" richardlhess
Date: Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:29 am ((PDT))
At 01:30 PM 2009-06-15, oryoki2000 wrote:
>Here's my list of recorders and their behavior when the file
>size gets to 2GB.  Corrections and additions always welcome.
>--oryoki

Hello, Oryoki,

This list is extremely valuable. Thank you for compiling it. I have a
couple of comments...

>Save file and stop at 2GB
>-------------------------------------
>Edirol R-1
>Fostex FR-2LE (2GB or 4GB)

The oral history recorder page at Vermont Folklife Centre put
together by Andy Kolovos lists the FR-2LE as a good choice. I have
one word for this mode of handling long files:
Eeeeewwwww...

>Kenwood MGR-A7
>Nagra ARES-M II
>Yamaha Pocketrak CX
>Yamaha Pocketrak 2G
>Zoom H4
>

>Save file, open new file, and continue recording
>"seamless" split, no delay in start of second file
>-------------------------------------
>Edirol R4
>Edirol R4 Pro
>Edirol R-09
>Edirol R-09HR
>Edirol R-44
>Fostex FR-2
>Marantz PMD661
>Marantz PMD671
>Olympus LS-10 (firmware 1.10)
>Sony PCM-D1
>Sony PCM-D50
>Sound Devices 7xx

I can confirm with the 722 that the split appears to be seamless both
at the user-selectable file size (not only 2 GB, but as small as 650
KB to split the file so it fits on data CDs) and at the track break
locations initiated by pressing the record button while recording.

>Tascam DR-1(firmware 2.00)
>Tascam DR-07
>Tascam DR-100
>Tascam HD-P2
>Zoom H4n
>

>Save file, open new file, continue recording at 2GB
>not quite "seamless," brief delay before second file starts
>-------------------------------------
>M-audio Microtrack 24/96 (firmware 1.3.3)
>Zoom H2

I think later firmware versions may have corrected this--at least
partially. When I ran the test at 96/24 stereo, there was glitching,
however at 44.1/24, no glitching was evident and it did not appear to
have an audible gap in the sound (I was just recording ambient).
Maybe I missed it.

>No file size limit, limited only by the size of flash memory card
>(may need to break the file into smaller pieces for editing)
>Marantz PMD620
>

>To be determined
>Korg MR-1
>Korg MR-1000