Olympus LS-10 ?

Subject: Olympus LS-10 ?
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:30 am ((PDT))

Aaron Ximm wrote:

>I am duty bound to point out that electret binaural mics are not well
>suited for quiet nature recording (e.g. rustling leaves).
>
>It can be done, but the mics are generally much too noisy by nature
>recordings standards, and unless you have an artificial head (or
>mostly use the Krause Tree Method), you also introduce your own noise
>very easily into this kind of recording.

The SP mikes shown are 5 mm electrets and there is no chance that
inherent noise level is below 20 dbA. Probably around 24 dbA.
The displayed freq. curve is a fraud. It might be approx. correct in
free air, but put into the ear something very different will come up.
First of all the human head will raise the curve somewhere by some
db, then the outer ear will color the sound twice - first when you
record, then again when you listen.
On the other hand the SP mikes are not the most expensive and they
are probably practical.

The Olympus is great! Menus are great, handling great, battery life
is great, preamp ok, mikes are good but normally noisy, counter is
less reliable. Display gets dark in sunshine, but recovers. There are
WHEELS to turn for input gain and  headphone output! For the one who
really wants to cut down on equipment, there is even two loudspeakers
in it to at least check that it has recorded!
I love that recorder and see no reason to get something else.

A low-noise soundscape mike for it will probably be discussed here in
a near future.  Give me a few days to recover from jetleg.

Klas.