Re: 4 channel recorders, 2009 edition

Subject: Re: 4 channel recorders, 2009 edition
From: "paulcdickinson" paulcdickinson
Date: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:34 am ((PDT))
In addition to the level difference between the balanced and unbalanced inp=
uts, I encountered an interesting "feature" with the H4n: there is an onboa=
rd 4-ch mixer (on the output side- post-record), but the actual record mete=
ring is downstream from the mixer. If you play around with the mixer and fo=
rget to reset the levels to '0' (like I did), you'll end up getting false l=
evel readings while you record. I was toying around with the mixer at home,=
 then did some semi-serious recording out in the field- the levels all matc=
hed while I was recording, but back in the studio the files from the unbal =
input were about 12db quieter. Checked the mixer, and yup- the unbal in cha=
nnels were maxed out at +12 dB. I'm accumulating a bug list on the H4n & ho=
pe to publish it here some time soon.

BTW, it's also advised to stick with the Zoom authorized brands of SD cards=
 (insert sad clown face here).

Paul Dickinson

--- In  "oryoki2000" <> wrote:

> Marinos Koutsomichalis wrote:
>
> > I doubt whether the zoom h4 is able to
> > record simultaneously from both the
> > XLR inputs and the 3.5" one..
>
> Note that we're talking about the Zoom H4n, not the H4.
>
> I've tested the H4n, and you can record from four
> external mics in this manner.  I found the preamp
> for the 3.5mm input to be noticeably quieter than
> the preamp that supports the XLR inputs.  Perhaps
> this is due to the presence of phantom power on the
> XLR circuits.
>
> --oryoki

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: