Re: 4 channel recorders, 2009 edition

Subject: Re: 4 channel recorders, 2009 edition
From: "John Lundsten" lundsten_john
Date: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:37 am ((PDT))
oryoki wrote
I've tested the H4n, and you can record from four
external mics in this manner.  I found the preamp
for the 3.5mm input to be noticeably quieter than
the preamp that supports the XLR inputs.  Perhaps
this is due to the presence of phantom power on the
XLR circuits.

--oryoki

A dealer kindly let me test a "new stock" H4n for noise.
16bit 44.1, Mic in 1 XLR max i/p gain (which is a not very impressive 47dB,
for full scale 0dB,  BTW)

Phantom off, the noise is far from clean there is a LF pulse/ wiggle every 3
secs with a 14dB difference between average & peak level. Strangly the noise
is actually slightly lower Without a dummy load (148ohm in my case)
I got an EIN of -104 unweighted & 107.2 A weighted. and without a dummy
load -108 & -111dB.

Pitty I was quite keen to buy one.
John L