Re: EQ audio plugin

Subject: Re: EQ audio plugin
From: "picnet2" picnet2
Date: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:37 am ((PDT))
Hi,

    I use SEQ2 From Neugen audio for the EQ part, and Visualizer from the s=
ame company to eyeball / control the process. - Both are good but have some=
 stability issues with wave editor.

An example from SEQ2:-
Exciting Rain barrel sounds - not had a chance to get to the river with thi=
s one yet...

This is from a simple DIY hydrophone, after EQ
http://urlme.net/audio/xlr-benderurethane.mp3

Hot glue inside (so the pzt can flex) / delrin (Acetal) exterior / Piezo se=
gment inside, screened with copper mesh - hard urethane acoustic aperture w=
hich is very important to retain high frequency content.
And before:-
http://urlme.net/audio/xlr-urethane-noeq.mp3

Another example from a broadband hydro / in river:-
Before: http://urlme.net/audio/hydro2-noeq.mp3
After: http://urlme.net/audio/hydro2.mp3

SEQ2 lets you draw the control curves to attenuate or boost specific freque=
ncies,
Ive found despite this, the AUParametricEQ is still needed sometimes - norm=
ally using the ParametricEQ to find resonant nodes or to reduce interferenc=
e from e.g traffic / aircon drone etc.

One thing missing in SEQ2 is the ability to learn curves..

BR,
Mike.

--- In  "justinasia" <> wrot=
e:

> I'm trying to remove unwanted noise from a recording, perhaps a distant r=
iver or city or something.

> I'm using Wave Editor on a mac, and I am trying to control the behavior o=
f a highpass filter. Under "audio units" I have Apple, AUHipass, but it's b=
ehaviour seems strange. For example, I set the cutoff frequency to 82Hz, an=
d the "resonance" to -16dB. I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to do,=
 but what it does is lower the volume on frequencies even as high as 200Hz,=
 very noticeably (I can see on the spectograph), perhaps even up to 400Hz b=
y the look of things. Also all the way down to the bottom (far left) of the=
 spectograph, there is still sound. So it didn't seem to cut anything off, =
merely make it quieter.

> Is there a way to actually cut off the lower frequencies? Or turn them do=
wn without effecting the higher frequencies? I would like to be able to con=
trol it. I have searched the internet and I did find one other plugin calle=
d "MU xEQ", which at least has a picture so you can see the shape of how it=
 is to change the frequencies, although it really doesn't seem to be easily=
 controllable either (for example the slope cannot be set very steep, so it=
 still ends up interfering with a very wide range of frequencies.

> What I imagine would be useful is something which actually lets me cutoff=
 frequencies below a certain level, and also lets me choose the steepness o=
f the curve of how sudden the cutoff is. Or even just shape the whole frequ=
ency curve as I choose.

> Is there a plugin anyone can recommend? Hopefully free, but if there is o=
ne which is not too expensive but obviously better for this purpose, I woul=
d be glad to hear about it.